Dating dk 50 Favrskov gamer chicks online dating
In 2010, the city council voted to change the name from "Århus" to "Aarhus" to strengthen the international profile of the city. Certain geographically affiliated names have been updated to reflect the name of the city, such as the Aarhus River, changed from "Århus Å" to "Aarhus Å".
It is still grammatically correct to write geographical names with the letter Å and local councils are allowed to use the Aa spelling as an alternative.
Many public and religious buildings were built in and around the city; notably Aarhus Cathedral was initiated in the late 12th century by the influential bishop Peder Vognsen.
In 1441, Christopher III issued the oldest known charter granting market town status although similar privileges may have existed as far back as the 12th century.
Major Danish companies have based their headquarters here and people commute for work and leisure from a wide area in Region Midtjylland.
In the 1950s many jazz clubs sprang up around the city, fuelled by the young population.
By the 1960s, the music scene diversified into rock and other genres.
There are strong indications of a former royal residence from the Viking Age in Viby, a few kilometres south of the Aarhus city centre.
The growing influence of the Church during the Middle Ages gradually turned Aarhus, with its bishopric, into a prosperous religious centre.
Market town privileges were granted in 1441, but growth stagnated in the 17th century as the city suffered blockades and bombardments during the Swedish Wars.